MK1 – Tilt-action cargo trike from Butchers & Bicycles, Copenhagen from Butchers & Bicycles, Copenhagen on Vimeo.
Based in the historic meat packing district of Copenhagen, Butchers & Bicycles is a cargo bike brand that exemplifies the energy and innovation that has made Denmark one of the world’s most progressive cycling nations. Butchers & Bicycles and its three founders (Morten Mogenson, Morten Wagener and Jakob Munk) have a simple goal: make cargo bikes that are a practical and easy alternative to cars for people and businesses that carry large objects.
“It has long been established that the bicycle is in fact…in many cities, actually even faster,” they say.
Their first model is the Mk1, a cargo trike that comes in a pedal or electric version. The Mk1-E electric bike (above) features a 250-watt MPF drive for pedal assist up to 25 kilometers per hour, plus a back-lit control unit with a USB plug for phone charging. Both the Mk1 and Mk1-E can be purchased with the Gates Carbon Drive belt system for low maintenance and grease-free practicality.
The other noteworthy innovation is the cargo box, which tilts with the rider for better handling.
The Mk1 also features:
- a lightweight aluminum frame
- a parking/kickstand that can be raised and lowered from the riding position
- NuVinci N360 internal hub gearing for seamless shifting
- hydraulic disc brakes on all three wheels
- double wall aluminum rims
- Schwalbe puncture proof tires – 26′ rear / 20′ front
- quick release saddle and handlebar adjustment
- mudguards/fenders on all wheels
- durable cargo box with easy access front door and child-safe lock
- cargo box mount for children’s car seat
- lockable glove box with integrated cup holder
- 1 year free service in the Copenhagen showroom
This brand has style. We love their logo, and the Butchers & Bicycles showroom looks immaculate. If you like bikes, put Copenhagen on the list of places to visit. Rent a GoBike through the city’s eBike sharing program and pedal over to the meat packing district.